Matthew S. Spencer
Trust and Estates
Matt has been counseling and advising clients in the area of trusts and estates (estate planning) since 1993. Our clients’ needs run the full range from simple Wills to Revocable Living Trusts. Other trust services include Life Insurance Trusts, Credit Shelter Trusts (also known as A-B Trusts) and Irrevocable Trusts. All of our clients are advised to utilize Living Wills, Health Care Proxies and, of course, a Power of Attorney.
Matt has counseled our Westchester and Putnam County elder law clients on how to avoid nursing home costs through Asset Protection strategies. Matt has also prepared numerous Medicaid and pooled trust applications, as well as guided our clients through the recertification process.
When needed, Matt has successfully petitioned the Guardianship Court for the appointment of a Guardian under Article 81 of the Mental Hygiene Law. Matt is a certified Court Examiner, to review the conduct of Guardians, as well as a Court Evaluator in Guardianship Proceedings, to help the Court determine whether a Guardian is needed. Matt has also served as the attorney for the AIP (Allegedly Incapacitated Person). In addition, Matt has served as the court-appointed Guardian of the Person and Guardian of the Property of incapacitated individuals.
One of Matt’s primary practice areas is Real Estate. Matt has represented both buyers and sellers of residential real estate, including 2 to 4 family dwellings. Matt has helped our commercial real estate clients buy and sell their commercial properties. Matt has serviced accounts and rendered closing services for approximately 30 different institutional lenders. Our firm has an extensive network of real estate agents, mortgage brokers, home inspectors and title representatives with whom we work. In addition, Matt has lectured for the Pace University School of Law Land Use Law Center’s continuing legal education program.
Counseling businesses is an important part of our practice. Our clients have included all types of legal entities, including sole proprietors, partnerships, corporations and limited liability companies. Matt has counseled his business clients on matters ranging from start-up matters, to contract drafting and negotiation, to employment issues, to litigation, to debt collection problems. Matt has helped our corporate law clients purchase and sell existing businesses and establish brand new ventures, including franchises.
Professional Affiliations/Community Service
- New York State Bar Association Elder Law Section
- New York State Bar Association Real Estate Section
- Brehon Law Society – Westchester County
- The Friendly Sons of St. Patrick
- Past-President of the Greater Chappaqua Chamber of Commerce
- Past-President of the Advanced Networkers Chapter of Business Network International
- Immaculate Conception CYO Basketball Program Board of Directors
- Irvington Recreation Department – Volunteer Coach in Baseball, Softball and Basketball programs
- Westchester County Bar Association
- The Estate Planning Counsil of Westchester County
- Pleasantville Chamber of Commerce
- The Rotary Club of Pleasantville
- Village of Irvington Recreation and Parks Advisory Committee
Pepperdine University School of Law – Juris Doctor 1991
New York Law School (Visiting Student 1990-1991)
State University of New York – College at Oneonta, Bachelor of Science 1987
Washingtonville Central High School (Orange County, NY) 1983