Matthew S. Spencer
Trust and Estates
I have been counseling and advising clients in the area of trust and estates (estate planning) since 1993. Our clients’ needs run the full range of from simple Wills to Revocable Living Trusts. Other trusts services include Life Insurance Trusts, Credit Shelter Trusts (also know as A-B Trusts) and Irrevocable Trusts. All of our clients are advised to utilize Living Wills, Health Care Proxies and, of course, a Power of Attorney.
I have counseled our Westchester and Putnam County elder law clients on how to avoid nursing home costs through Asset Protection strategies. We also prepare Medicaid Applications for our elder law clients. We frequently, but not always, use Medicaid Asset Protection Trusts for our senior clients.
When needed, I have successfully petitioned the Guardianship Court for the appointment of a Guardian under Article 81 of the Mental Hygiene Law. In addition, I am certified as a Court Examiner to review the conduct of Guardians. I am also certified as a Court Evaluator in Guardianship Proceedings to help the Court determine whether a Guardian is needed. And, of course, I have served as the attorney for the AIP (Allegedly Incapacitated Person).
One of my primary practice areas is Real Estate. My real estate clients span a broad spectrum. I have represented both buyers and sellers of residential real estate, including 2 to 4 family dwellings. I have helped our commercial real estate clients buy and sell their commercial properties. I have serviced accounts and rendered closing services for approximately 30 different institutional lenders. Our firm has an extensive network of real estate agents, mortgage brokers, home inspectors and title representatives with whom we work.
Counseling businesses is an important part of our practice. My clients have included all types of legal entities, including sole proprietors, partnerships, corporations and limited liability companies. Our business clients require counseling on matters ranging from start-up matters, to contract drafting and negotiation, to employment issues, to litigation, to debt collection problems. I have helped our corporate law clients purchase and sell existing businesses and establish brand new ventures, including franchises.
Professional Affiliations/Community Service
- New York State Bar Association Elder Law Section
- New York State Bar Association Real Estate Section
- Brehon Law Society – Westchester County
- The Friendly Sons of St. Patrick
- Past-President of the Greater Chappaqua Chamber of Commerce
- Past-President of the Advanced Networkers Chapter of Business Network International
- Immaculate Conception CYO Basketball Program Board of Directors
- Irvington Recreation Department – Volunteer Coach in Baseball, Softball and Basketball programs
- Westchester County Bar Association
- The Estate Planning Counsil of Westchester County
- Pleasantville Chamber of Commerce
- The Rotary Club of Pleasantville
- Village of Irvington Recreation and Parks Advisory Committee
Pepperdine University School of School – Juris Doctor 1991
New York Law School (Visiting Student 1990-1991)
State University of New York – College at Oneonta, Bachelor of Science 1987
Washingtonville Central High School (Orange County, NY) 1983