James T. Meyer
Trust and Estates
Jim’s experience in securities arbitrations and the financial planning industry has provided him with a unique perspective to assist our clients in their Trust and Estate (estate planning) and Business Succession matters. Our Trust and Estates practice involves everything from simple Wills and Revocable Living Trusts to the more complex tax savings strategies using various trusts. We have extensive experience in probate and administration proceedings, as well as in Guardianship matters.
Jim is a zealous advocate for senior citizens. He is dedicated to helping seniors protect their assets and maintain their quality of life and dignity as they age. In addition to asset protection and estate planning, Jim helps seniors with issues pertaining to nursing home and assisted living admissions, financial management and geriatric care.
Jim has extensive experience in all facets of residential and commercial real estate. We have an extensive network of real estate agents, mortgage brokers, home inspectors and title representatives with whom we work. We have participated in thousands of real estate closings since the firm opened its doors in 1993.
Securities Industry Arbitrator
As a member of the Board of Arbitrators of the National Association of Securities Dealers, Inc. from 1994 to 2008, Jim has presided over numerous complex multi-party and multi-million dollar cases. As the chairman of arbitration panels, Jim conducted pre-hearing conferences, monitored the pre-hearing discovery process, decided motions, made procedural and evidentiary rulings and drafted the final arbitration award.
Jim has represented numerous small businesses including sole proprietorships, partnerships, corporations and limited liability companies. Jim has counseled small businesses on start-up matters, contractual issues and employment issues. Our corporate law practice has provided Jim with extensive experience in the negotiating and drafting of business contracts and the purchases and sales of existing businesses.
Jim authored a weekly legal column in the Putnam County Press that ran from January, 2004 through 2010 and has had more than 300 articles on various legal topics published.
- Counsel to the Mahopac-Carmel Chamber of Commerce
- New York State Bar Association
- Past President of the Putnam County Bar Association (2007-2008)
- Past President of the Estate Planning Council of Putnam County (2005-2006)
- Court Examiner for the 9th Judicial District appointed to review the annual accountings of Court Appointed Guardians in Westchester, Putnam and Dutchess Counties
- Member of the Westchester County Bar Association and the New York State Bar Association Elder Law and Trusts and Estates Sections
- Past President of the Scarsdale Chapter of Business Network International
- Hudson Gateway Association of REALTORS
- Past Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Putnam Arts Council (2005-2008)
- Past President of the Greater Chappaqua Chamber of Commerce (2006-2007)
- Member of the Town of Carmel Environmental Conservation Board (2004-2008)
- Member of the Town of Carmel Planning Board (2008-2014)
- Member of the Greater Mahopac-Carmel Chamber of Commerce
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Town of Carmel Historical Society
- Member of the Knights of Columbus Council 6318 (Carmel)
- Member of the Lake Mahopac Rotary (2005- Present)
- Current Town of Carmel, NY Historian
Brooklyn Law School – Juris Doctor 1989
West Virginia University – Bachelor of Science 1985
Carmel High School — 1981