James T. Meyer
1993 to the Present. Partner in Meyer & Spencer PC, a general practice firm with offices in Chappaqua, NY and Mahopac, NY. I have experience in the following practice areas:
Trusts and Estates — My experience in securities arbitrations and the financial planning industry has provided me with a unique perspective to assist our clients in their Estate Planning and Business Succession matters. Our Estate Planning practice involves everything from simple Wills and Revocable Trusts to the more complex tax savings strategies using various trusts. We have extensive experience in probate and administrative proceedings as well as in Guardianship matters.
Elder Law – I am a zealous advocate for senior citizens and I am dedicated to helping seniors protect their assets and maintain their quality of life and dignity as they age. In addition to asset protection and estate planning, I help seniors with issues pertaining to nursing home and assisted living admissions, financial management and geriatric care.
Real Estate – I have extensive experience in all facets of residential and commercial real estate. My firm represents approximately 30 different lenders and we have an extensive network of real estate agents, mortgage brokers, home inspectors and title representatives with whom we work.
Securities Industry Arbitrator – As a member of the Board of Arbitrators of the National Association of Securities Dealers, Inc. from 1994 to 2008 I have presided over numerous complex multi-party and multi-million dollar cases. As the chairman of arbitration panels, I conducted pre-hearing conferences, monitored the pre-hearing discovery process, decided motions, made procedural and evidentiary rulings and drafted the final arbitration award.
Litigation – As an attorney with more than 20 years’ experience, I litigated numerous commercial disputes in New York State Supreme Court, the Appellate Division, First Department, the United States District Court, Second Circuit and the Second Circuit Court of Appeals. My experience includes extensive trial experience, both jury and non-jury. I also have extensive experience handling matrimonial cases, personal injury cases, family court cases as well as estate litigation in the Surrogate’s Courts.
Criminal Law – As a member of the Westchester County 18-b panel from 1993 to 2003, I handled well over 1000 criminal cases ranging including Vehicle & Traffic matters, petit larceny matters, drug possession matters, assaults and fraud matters. While appearing in Court as a criminal defense attorney, I was able to observe tens of thousands of cases and was able to observe the best prosecutors, defense attorneys and judges in Westchester and Putnam Counties.
Corporate Law – I have represented numerous small businesses including sole proprietorships, partnerships, corporations and limited liability companies. I have counseled small business on start-up matters, contractual issues, employment issues and litigation matters. Our corporate law practice has provided me with extensive experience in the negotiating and drafting of business contracts and the purchases and sales of existing businesses.
Legal Column — I am the author of a weekly legal column in the Putnam County Press that has run since January, 2004 and have had more than 300 articles on various legal topics published.
- Past President of the Putnam County Bar Association (2007-2008)
- Past President of the Estate Planning Council of Putnam County (2005-2006)
- Court Examiner for the 9th Judicial District appointed to review the annual accountings of Court Appointed Guardians in Westchester, Putnam and Dutchess Counties
- Member of the Westchester County Bar Association and the New York State Bar Association Elder Law and Trusts and Estates Sections
- Past President of the Scarsdale Chapter of Business Network International
- Past Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Putnam Arts Council (2005-2008)
- Past President of the Greater Chappaqua Chamber of Commerce (2006-2007)
- Member of the Town of Carmel Environmental Conservation Board (2004-2008)
- Member of the Town of Carmel Planning Board (2008-Present)
- Member of the Greater Mahopac-Carmel Chamber of Commerce
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Town of Carmel Historical Society
- Member of the Knights of Columbus Council 6318 (Carmel)
- Member of the Lake Mahopac Rotary (2005- Present)
Brooklyn Law School – Juris Doctor 1989
West Virginia University – Bachelor of Science 1985
Carmel High School — 1981